BP has partnered with the Alaska Principals Foundation (APF) to award 25 graduating seniors across Alaska each with a one-time $4,000 scholarship. Since the BP Principals Scholarship began 30 years ago, BP has contributed over $3.5 million to support the continuing education of deserving students.
Every high school Principal in Alaska may nominate one graduating senior from their school for the BP Alaska Principal’s Scholarship. The APF Board of Directors selects the 25 scholarship winners.
Please help us to make this program a success by sharing information about the BP Alaska Principal’s Scholarship with teachers and students at your school.
To nominate a student:
1. Select your nominee
2. Complete a principal recommendation letter (pdf or Word doc)
The principal recommendation letter (one page maximum) addressed to the APF Selection Committee, accompanying the nomination form may reference any of the following criteria:
- Academic achievement,
- Community/school involvement,
- Leadership potential,
- Financial need,
- How the scholarship will assist the student in meeting personal goals and aspirations, and
- How the student excels compared to other students eligible for this scholarship.
3. Have the student complete a student statement letter (pdf or Word doc)
The student nominated by the principal must write a one-page-maximum statement describing why they deserve the BP Alaska Principal’s Scholarship. Be sure the student’s letter is in standard block style format, and addresses the APF Selection Committee properly.
4. Please fill out the BP 2017 SCHOLARSHIP NOMINATION FORM electronically and upload the Principal Recommendation Letter and Student Statement Letter in a pdf or Word document, no later than 5:00 pm on January 31, 2017. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.
The APF Board of Directors Review Committee will select the scholarship winners in February.
If your student is selected for a scholarship:
- In early March, BP and APF will notify you on the status of the student you nominated.
- If your nominee is selected for one of the scholarships, you will also receive a form to complete that notifies BP of the date/time of your school award or graduation ceremony. Completing this form assists BP in scheduling a representative to attend your award ceremony to present the award when possible.
- You may notify your student winner, the school and community when you deem it appropriate.
Information for the scholarship recipients:
- The scholarship is a $4,000 award to be paid in total during the fall semester of the first year of eligibility.
- The scholarship may not be deferred for any reason.
- The scholarship check will be mailed in the fall semester directly to the financial aid office when all necessary forms have been submitted to APF.
- If the student does not submit the appropriate paperwork by October 15, the scholarship will be assigned to an alternate.
- If an alternate is selected, they have 3 weeks from the notification date to submit the required documentation, or they will forfeit the scholarship and another alternate will be selected.
Thank you for your commitment to Alaska’s youth and for joining BP in this effort to provide financial support to young Alaskans pursuing a college education.
Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org