The Herbert Lehman Scholarship is a national, highly competitive scholarship program that makes annual awards to qualified, outstanding undergraduate students. The scholarship was established in 1964 and is named after the former Governor and United States Senator from New York State. LDF chose to honor Senator Lehman in recognition of his integrity, persistence, and valor on behalf of numerous civil rights causes.
Herbert Lehman Scholarships were initially awarded to help African-American students attend formerly segregated four-year colleges and universities in the South and to increase the number of African Americans in the legal profession.
The mission of the Herbert Lehman Fund is to help transform the promise of racial equality into a social, economic, and political reality for all people by supporting talented undergraduate students who need financial help to stay in school and successfully complete their bachelor’s degree.
Awards generally do not exceed four years.
Students who are interested in applying for Herbert Lehman Scholarships are strongly encouraged to review the eligibility criteria and program description before submitting an application.
Eligibility & Award Criteria
- U.S. Citizen
- Graduating high school senior; first year student in an accredited four year college; or a student transferring into an accredited four year college
- Financial need
- Record of academic achievement
- Demonstrated commitment to public service
Herbert Lehman Awards are $2,000 per year for four years (as long as scholars remain in good academic standing and continue to meet the scholarship criteria) for a total of $8,000. Deadline for the scholarship is April 1. Final decisions are made by the end of July. All applicants will be notified of their status.
Scholarship Application Checklist – Your application must contain all nine items listed below:
- Completed Scholarship Application Form
- Copy of acceptance letter to college you will attend
- 2 recommendation letters
- Copy of transcript from current school (finalists will be required to submit an official transcript)
- 1 personal statement
- 1 essay
- Copy of SAT and ACT test scores
- Copy of your Student Aid Report (FAFSA)
- Finalists will be required to submit a head and shoulder photograph [Passport Size] when notified