INTERNSHIPS AT ENGAGE
Three times a year—Spring, Summer and Fall— Engage opens our (elevator) door to students (or recent grads) who are looking to round out their education with hands-on experience. Whether they are working with our Creative, Client Strategy or Operations team, our interns are immersed in the work that we do. And with our tight-knit team, they quickly become key members of our organization.
Engage interns have come from near and far—from local schools like Georgetown, GWU and American to distant universities like UCSD and even international colleges like the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. No matter where they are from, one common thing brings these interns to us: their thirst for knowledge. We look for passionate candidates who are never fully satisfied with what they know. Our team loves being able to teach inquisitive, hardworking, problem solvers and are happy to provide them a unique space where they can learn and grow.
We take pride in producing high quality and award winning work, but we always find time for Nerf gun fights and team lunches. We love coming to work and think that you will too! If this sounds like you, we want you to apply. Read on!
- October 31: Application period begins
- November 15: Application deadline
- Announcements made in mid-December.
- March 1: Application period begins
- March 28: Application deadline
- Announcements made in mid-April.
- July 8: Application period begins
- August 8: Application deadline
- Announcements made end of August.
We accept applications through our job board.
We offer both part and full time internships–with a preference for full time during the summer. Applicants must be current students, preferably graduating seniors, (either undergraduate or graduate level) or recent graduates. Our internships are paid and we’re happy to arrange for class credit. To learn more, get in touch at email@example.com.
DIGITAL STRATEGY INTERNSHIP
Our Digital Strategy Interns work with our Client Strategy team as they use the latest tools in technology to deliver results to our clients. Your responsibilities will revolve around client projects. You will be conducting research, drafting and copywriting content for Facebook and Twitter, collecting data, and composing weekly reports.
The comprehensive nature of the work does not lend itself to any specific major, but rather to someone with a passion for politics and all things digital. We are looking for proficiency in writing, research, social media, and Excel. Experience with blogging and using any CMS (ex., WordPress) is a plus. The ideal candidate will have a proven history of managing deadlines and can handle sensitive, complicated tasks in a timely manner. Most importantly, we want someone who, like us, is not afraid to tackle something new and challenging.
- Assist client strategists in projects
- Draft social media content for Facebook and Twitter
- Conduct research on policy matters relevant to Engage’s work
- Collect and sort data for client reports
- Help assemble, review and proof business presentations
- Handle administrative duties, including answering the phone
- Attend company meetings
- Learn new tools and skills (in the past, interns have studied to become Google Analytics certified)
VISUAL DESIGN INTERNSHIP
Our Visual Design Intern will assist our Design team in producing visually stimulating websites, share graphics and marketing collateral. The ideal candidate has experience designing for the web and is proficient in Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. We’re looking for applicants who are entranced by sleek user interface and get excited about engaging web design. Applicants should be current college or graduate students, majoring in art, graphic design or visual communications.
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Basic understanding of the rules of user interface design
- Experience or understanding of brand standards and style guides
- Comprehension of responsive design elements
- Attention to detail, an eye for design and typography in web layouts
- Interest in politics and government affairs
- Bonus: Some knowledge of CSS and HTML
FRONT END DEVELOPMENT INTERNSHIP
The Front End Development Intern will be primarily working with our Front End Developer, taking Photoshop files from our Design team and hand coding in the HTML and CSS to make the PSDs into functioning slices. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated student or recently graduated student interested in pursuing a career in web development and is excited to work with our in-house development team.
- Strong knowledge semantic HTML5 markup, CSS, web accessibility standards and cross browser compatibility
- Experience creating responsive layouts
- Familiar with Photoshop
- Bonus – experience with front end frameworks, especially Bootstrap
- Bonus – experience with WordPress themes
- Bonus – knowledge of PHP
WEB DEVELOPMENT INTERNSHIP
The Web Development Intern will be working with our back end and front end web developers building custom websites and applications, using PHP; primarily, we work in WordPress and Laravel. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated student or recently graduated student interested in pursuing a career in web development and is excited to work with our in-house development team.
- SQL (MySQL or similar)
- WordPress theme or plugin development, or equivalent Drupal experience, preferred
- Experience with a PHP framework—Laravel, Symphony, CakePHP, Zend or CodeIgniter—a plus. We don’t expect you to be an expert, but some prior work with PHP is required
- Bonus points for: knowledge of Object Oriented Programming techniques and design patterns in any language, REST APIs, mobile development (Android or iOS SDKs), AWS, Git or similar version control, Vagrant, LAMP stack/server management, Composer